Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Wednesday insearch of summer art and drama workshops...




I got a call to pick up two girls from school and headed over to Granville to Abe's Body Shop to have a new mirror installed on the driver side of my 1998 GEO; yes, I will be keeping this little beauty for a few more years. While I waited for the installation I took the girls to experience Knuckle-heads Ice Cream stand. This landmark has been around for over 28 years and the original owners died way too soon. We had medium soft serve cones that were HUGE! The two young girls could not answer the reason for the name but it has always been a neighborhood hangout after soccer and softball games. The two young attendants were charming to talk to and made the girls feel special on their first visit. We then went downtown Granville and I showed them where the Robbins Hunter Museum was located because they had had a guest speaker today in their classrooms about the history of Licking county. I then drove down to the Bryn Mawr Granville Visual Arts Studio after seeing a sign on a van saying "Art builds Minds". We renewed my friendship with Todd Camps; he is the instructor for the program that was preparing for the very first Art opening on Sunday May 31, 2009. About a dozen students were completing an assessment created by Denison Art Department to ask the children how they could better serve their young clientele. They were eager to show and share their works "they" were installing in their student gallery and outside on the beautiful grounds. Todd is an amazing artist and made his students feel that they have the power to make decisions that control how they to make their sacred marks. I then drove the girls to the Weathervane Playhouse to see the Children's theater and spend a few moments watching rehearsal with the dancers for Sweet Charity. We then went inside to gather info for drama camp/workshop and spoke briefly with Matthew, Pam and Brice for some behind the scenes advise. We left with many more questions than answers as I realize that this was a cost prohibitive obstacle for me to attempt to fulfill the dreams for two little girls.
I dropped them off and then left for home but got caught in a horrendous thunderstorm and down pour. I pulled over until things were manageable and by the time I got to my house I feared all the power was out. I was right so we did what I needed to do and we headed out to Wendy's for one Delicious dinner. Oh well all is well now and I need to get organized for a very busy tomorrow. I have included some photos from last night's drama production at Cherry Valley school with Mrs. Beaver's drama club and Miss Maya Rose! Imagine and Live in Peace, Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart

No comments:

Post a Comment