Saturday, April 24, 2010

a good day for resting....


I am still practicing ...being still. I slept during the rainstorms and passed the day away. When I got up to move around I decided to sort..wash...cut old threads...color code ...assemble a box of buttons I was given for my latest works. I know this sound like it is no big deal but I touch...examine...evaluate...sort each little box of buttons in an organized way to use them in my narrative quilts. My favorite are the mother of pearls...I also am beginning to enjoy the black cut glass antique like buttons...I am really not sure if they are antique but they are totally captivating when used on the right work. Tomorrow I will attempt to photograph the newest in my collection and share my glories.

I entered my photographs from my collaboration with Seth Apter's Disco challenge that is just being published in the May/June Cloth , Paper Scissors with a 7 page spread in this very interesting magazine. If you go online at the CPS Homepage and click onto DisCo Project on the left sidebar you can view and check out some of the diverse projects and artists who participated in this challenge. Tomorrow Seth is already onto a new Book Guild at his The Altered Page blog spot so be sure to check out his latest collaborations. He also has shared his final DisCo Book on his entry earlier this week. It is a wonderful exercise for the imagination and I told him I want more...just like Oliver...more please.

I need to get back to work. Slowly and quietly I am moving forward. I received the book about Eva Hesse by Lucy Lippard today but all I have done is study her drawings and her sculptures. Hopefully I can begin reading about this remarkable young woman who has been gone since 1970 from a brain tumor but today is still quoted, studied and opens so many new processes to explore. Have a wonderful weekend. I love the sound of the gentle rain outside on the rooftop tonight and feel so lucky to be able to be here in my home. The hillside is cloaked in a soft velvet cloud of fog...rest and enjoy the gifts from Nature. Imagine and Live in Peace, Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart

4 comments:

  1. I thought of you as I was reading my copy of CPS that came yesterday, the article about Seth. It was interesting after following on blog to see it all condensed down to the amount of space in the magazine. That is where a blog really fills out an artists work!
    I too am laying low until all this weather passes; am hoping you will be feeling a bit better and yes, I know just what you mean by touching thing for artwork.
    I think some of the major elements I put into a collage get handled over and over----until I am sure they are the right fit/feel/history/voice for what I am doing. Hard to put into words.
    Take care!

    XXOO!!
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. More storms moved through last night, everything looks so much greener around here. No longer are the tree trunks the focal points when I look out my windows. Shades of green everywhere, it's just glorious.
    Quiet days or moments are needed to look, touch and allow the creative mind to play. I'm glad you are taking it easy. :)Bea

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope the rest has done you well. So happy that you added your photos to the CPS site. They look great!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a very soothing activity - sorting through your materials, touching and visiting with each element. May you find inspiration and renewal in your time of stillness. Sending you hugs and love, Karin

    ReplyDelete