Wednesday, February 3, 2010

today I tried...but to no avail


It has been a hectic day and I feel as if I am a little puppy who has been chasing her newly discovered toy...her tail. I met with a woman to help her out... with her quilt project about the underground railroad... that she knew very little about. I spent quite a bit of time collecting my wits about a residency I experienced ten years ago at a middle school. I documented the processes, the students, the lesson plans, the construction and the finalization of this collaboration with a real authentic opening at a well recognized gallery in Columbus. I shared intimate details and plans and possible resources that she might want to investigate...but alas she basically made me feel like I was to be her employee... for another project she would take credit for. I left the two hour meeting feeling frustrated and down right angry for being so honest with her... there was something in the whole two hours that made me feel as if I had been duped. I never got to eat my lunch and left knowing I probably would never hear from her again unless it was a benefit to her "program". I can only do what I can but I will not be pulled into a plan that is not well executed or even well thought out....lesson learned. Bless What is Here...and get back to work on my exhibit.

I went to pick up some more photo transfer materials and some pretty cute Debbie Mumm fabrics on sale for half price...great for aprons and little sweet girl's dresses. I picked up some vintage fabrics for more transfers and vintage glasses for my storage plans for the multitude of beads for my narratives. The small pieces will be washed and maybe color coded to add to the layers of my images for the three generations focal points.

I stopped by my daughters and made plans for a real lunch with my daughter on her birthday on Friday. I will be meeting Maya at the Midland for Dr. Kaboom...scientist extraordinaire at our Midland for the Yellow Bus series that brings the Arts and Science alive on stage for the children of the county. She is totally excited about the prospect of of a live show and me being with her on a school day. We shared a hot cup of tea and made possible plans for an overnight to make Valentines this weekend. I am more than ready to have an all night making fun Valentines with my girls and Hot chocolate! Stay warm and remember the sunshine is coming home soon. Be careful with your thoughts and I need to learn to hold my cards close to my heart. Imagine and Live in Peace, Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart

sorry about my rant tonight but it feels better to get this out of my spirit... patience please. What would Rosa do?

4 comments:

  1. Ah, the creative vampires. They seduce you in, suck your knowledge and then your body drops as they flit off.....well, maybe that is a little over the top but, oh yes, I am familiar with those! FAR TOO FAMILIAR!
    All I can say, and I mean this with encouragement--at least you know the situation NOW and will not invest more time in it, as opposed to some of us (ahem!) who invested several years before we opened our eyes and really saw the light. (and could have written a rant ten times as long...)
    Why is it in blog-land we meet equally sharing people but in real life we meet the worst of the worst??? Especially with the theft of ideas and process????
    Okay, I'm shutting up before I start a rant! LOL!!!
    (((HUGS!!!)))

    XXOO!!
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Anne...you were so on the money! I am off to volunteer for the Midland for a Dr. Kaboom performance! Today is a better day already so thank YOU for letting me rant and feel better, I really needed an outside source. Have a great day and keep sewing! Imagine and Live in Peace, Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary Helen,

    I think many of us can relate to your experience, but your right, we need to be careful who we share our thoughts with. Chalk it up to experience and remember that it won't matter very soon...our souls have a way of healing us and knocking us back into reality of what is truly important in life.

    Blessings,
    Georgina

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like that bit about "creative vampires." We've all met our share. Cards close to "heart" or vest - that's best (sometimes). Thanks for your sweet comment on my post about heart trouble. Ever since this new baby came it's very easy to worry or get sad and thoughtful about time passing and opportunities missed. But there's still plenty of adventures ahead. I feel sure of that. I am going to make valentines on Super Bowl Sunday when the guys meet to watch the game. Have fun with your girls!

    ReplyDelete