Wednesday, February 10, 2010

quiet moments inside my cabin...




Ken's cheese souffle...Yum yum!

Same story but on a different day...yes, the snowfall of over two feet will be our companion for days to come but I am hoping we will miss the possible frozen drizzle and rain. Ken has worked to almost clear our hill driveway and maybe tomorrow he will be able to get over to Columbus for his classes at Capital University. I have quietly spent my day moving slowly and performing minimal household laundry but I did make a favorite recipe of my mother's for "Swiss Steak with orange and red peppers" over mashed potatoes and corn. Pure comfort food to feed our bodies and souls. Cooking keeps the first floor warm and the aromas connected with childhood memories. I worked on my January Moon piece...yes it was supposed to done already but I have one speed ....slow like the three toed sloth...and I am truly enjoying the embellishment process. Tomorrow I will post a few photos as I near its completion. I am also continuing my chain stitches on the large Kath portrait. I feel reassured because I stopped by a blog...Red Velvet from Australia and Judy has a video on her painstaking, prayerful restoration of a very fragile old bible. Judy Wilkenfeld is an artist that deserves recognition for her dedication to remembering people and their stories by reassembling often aged and delicate books. If you would like to be inspired please feel free to visit this gentle woman's handwork. I am constantly amazed at the generosity that so many artists share in their daily journeys documented in their blogs. I am learning how energy follows our thoughts and processes by taking the time to stand still to witness vicariously another authentic voice.

I have surrounded myself with my art books and magazines so that when I need to stop for a physical break I have a tangible connection with another and their words and focuses. Lynne Perella has a recent book... Art Making and Studio Spaces. This paperback is one I find myself relishing the inner workings of their intimate work spaces. I feel so honored being able to visit a sacred space vicariously and to see how they store and sort their inspirations as they create their unique styles. If you get a chance check this book out...it is well worth a pot of coffee or a pot of hot tea to enjoy Lynne's descriptions of art and where it happens.

I need to get back to work but continue on sacred sisters and brothers...create a new world filled with Peace and Art. Imagine and Live in Peace, Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart

4 comments:

  1. Mary Helen I have that Lynne Perrella book too and I think it is a great book. I remember you commenting on that green leaf button on my blog. If you send me your snail mail I will send it to you. I am sure you will do something absolutely wonderful with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh.....cheese souffle! I have not had that since mother was alive! Just reading about it brings back a wealth of memories! And I can taste it on my tongue, light, tangy, that hint of dry mustard for just a bit of bite in an otherwise smooth and silky creation. LUCKY YOU!
    I find with this weather I am happy to stay in and cook, though I am pretty sure my last cooking would make a good industrial de-icer! LOL!!!
    Stay warm dear. I have had the nose in art and knitting books too. It seems a good way to await better weather!

    XXOO!!
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  3. We woke up to a sunrise that made the frost on the bushes sparkle like diamonds. It's hard to be frustrated with all this white when it's so beautiful. I shoveled the front walk, which is down hill and stone uneven steps. Came inside and took a 20 minute nap. Then I went out back to shovel a path to the studio. I got a third of the way and couldn't do any more. Muscles too sore. Zeus told me later I could have driven the car out there it has 4-wheel drive. sigh I forgot. :)Bea

    ReplyDelete
  4. How lovely! I too am surrounded by books...not too many magazines, though. I consider my living room and studio my havens, my blessed spaces.

    Have a wonderful week and oh no, that snow!! Oh well, keeps you all out of trouble!! LOL

    xxoo,
    Georgina

    ReplyDelete