Thursday, February 24, 2011

A youthful spirit came in my doorway today....








I met two wonderful young artists in the studio. The first was Megan a full time artist/painter who is studying painting on main campus at OSU. She came in with her fiance who is studying elementary education specializing in middle school grades. She visited with me for quite awhile and then a COTC student named Ruthie came in to join in on the dialogue about life long learning. She shared her poster she had designed for her teacher...but she had some difficulty with the final print processing so she was on her way upstairs to reprint. Our conversations were open and wide about the possibilities from cross cultural influences and the offerings from traveling to distant lands. I gave them each a postcard from the Texas Chair Exhibit at the Ohio Designer Craftsmen Museum and recommended that they both check it out when they have free time in Columbus.

We, I painted the Disney tea set with Kylie today...and right off the bat one of the tea cups fell to the floor and shattered. The tears were right on the verge of falling and I made a silly door hanger...Girls ONLY! I swept up the glass remnants and we proceeded to paint the other tea cup and the small teapot. Now Kylie wants an art apron...something with lots of PINK...surprising? Next week we will work on the selection and make a special apron for her to wear for her personal tea parties and art lessons. I know I am not making a lot of money but I am living a life to the fullest!

When everyone left for the day I enjoyed the peace and quiet in my studio. I began sorting through the materials and making my choices for the commission and made the cards that I needed to replenish the card rack. I listened to music and before I knew it it was 6 o clock and Ken was waiting on dinner. I was digesting the idea I had from the missing memory card the other day... I need to work up my design for "I forgot my memory card today" canvas and then tee shirt to possibly sell. My friend Vicki and I giggled about all the implications and uses this small quote has in all of our busy chaotic schedules. Do you have days when your memory card is missing? Since my brain surgery I have definitely noticed missing links in my language skills and memory. I have now chosen my Hindu goddess for the large canvas commission....Lakshmi---Goddess of wealth, light, wisdom, the lotus flower and fortune. I want to honor this religious Hindu pantheon of gods and goddesses so the population will be able to experience the divine in remarkable ways.

The snows are returning tonight...who knows what will become of the Final Friday Art Walk.... I love my life! Imagine and Live in Peace, Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart

4 comments:

  1. It sounds like you surely have a great life and no wonder you love it. It is filled with wonderful people. Your life is what you have made it and peace and love abounds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love hearing about your life too. Mental pause, a friend Anne at El Milagro studio just said to me. I think she is right, that about sums it up. Never a dull moment here though. xox Corrine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Mary Helen!
    It's Megan Rine and I would love to write a paper on one of the small quilts you showed me on thursday. Could you possibly send me some images of them to my email? Its rine.50@osu.edu. Can't wait to hear from you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would be so honored. I am sending you all five of the small works...let me know if you need anything else. You gave light to my day and my heart! Peace, Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart

    ReplyDelete