Saturday, February 5, 2011

Cocktails by the Fire at The Works




























Ken had a busy day with his volunteering at the Power of the Pen competition today over in Gahanna. When he came home I had a cooked roast with all the trimmings and he made mashed potatoes for a warming comfort food supper. The sleet continues to come on down so he drove me to The Works for the fundraiser for the Glass Art Studio. When I arrived I learned that I was working with Velvet Ice Cream dipping coffee, chocolate, butter pecan and old fashioned vanilla ice creams for an Adult Topping Bar that made you want to just SMILE! I worked with a wonderful woman Lorie and we laughed as we struggled to scoop these delicious treats for the art patrons. Now tomorrow I realize that I will have a very sore arm but what the heck...I was working in the glass studio and was able to see the whole crew as they came in for the wonderful demonstrations that Sarah Vaughn performed to the delight of the whole audience. Sarah had been ill since her arrival but her mother came from Illinois with her beloved dog for company and moral support. I had made a beef stock for a homemade vegetable soup ..and then discovered Sarah was a vegetarian. Yikes back to the drawing board...maybe whole grain macaroni and cheese ...I will check my cookbook.

The evening was magical and filled with wonderful people gathering to support the Arts and just come together for pure clean fun and companionship. I think you might enjoy the photos even if you do not know the people...the smiles and hugs say it all. I do not drink...due to my multiple medications but I did have wonderful coffee with coffee ice cream and Kahlua. That was my treat for night. The contributing restaurants offered seafood bisque, crab cakes, pates, breads and sweet desserts plus a variety of drinks to smooth the moods and celebrate the survival we all had from this week's snow experiences. My friends Don and Betty...the two honeymooners at 85 years old...drove me home and Ken met us at the bottom of the hill to drive me up the hill to be inside safe and sound. I Am so fortunate to be able to give back to everyone who works so incredibly hard to keep our Works going and growing. No one succeeds alone and I am growing with and for the community that cherishes and supports life long learning. Imagine and Live in Peace, Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart

The news just came on ...and guess what we are tracking another weather system heading our way for tomorrow.


I am so blessed.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a wonderful evening! I'm glad you were able to enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a lovely gathering of like-minded artistic souls braving the weather to gather for fun- love the glass blowing! Have a wonderful Sunday Mary Helen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like another very fun evening out : )

    ReplyDelete