Saturday, January 22, 2011

A quiet frigid day inside....




I could not get warm today...the temperatures were in the single digits and the breeze kept the chill to the bone going all day. Ken worked on his school work and continued his reading to prepare for his next selection, a Newberry Award winning novel The View From Saturday by E.L. Konigsburg. She was a favorite writer of mine when I taught and I loved reading From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil Frankweiler to my students years ago. I slept under the quilts with my dog Rosie...the cold is taking a toll on my systems...my swollen glands make it hard to swallow foods and drinks.

I wish I had brought my big journal home from the studio but there was no real need to head outside in the cold cold day. I renewed and reviewed my copies of Somerset magazines and let the pages tell their stories once more. I reread my favorite German Poet Rilke's Book of Hours...Love poems to God. I am carrying a heavy heart lately with issues that develop late in our lives...weaker parents and proper placements...disappointments and betrayals... and just the life's mountains and valleys that we all experience as our families grow older and children move into their own lives. "your first word was light, and time began. Then for a long time you were silent." I am listening to this silence as I make my slow cloth stitches ...the slow movement of the needle pulling the threads through the cloth is comforting to my moment in time. Melancholy is my companion as the skies are velvety gray and I search for the light of renewing sunshine to create blues and grays shadows on the white snowy landscape...the fluffy deer roam quietly over the hill in search for nourishment and seem peaceful as they leave their prints in the snow.

I pray you are all warm and comfortable and know that this is a normal pattern of the January Wolf moon ...the beauty is is the quiet shimmers of moonlight on the snowbanks. Imagine and Live in Peace, Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart

3 comments:

  1. I just finished reading The View From Saturday -Lauren is doing a project on that book for school! How funny! Stay warm - best wishes with the family issues - we are starting to face some of that ourselves. . . . . Ethan's still talking about "that girl!" Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a nice, relaxing day. We seem to be sharing weather, although I cannot say that I have ever spotted deer outside my window!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Need to take note of that book...I collect children's lit plus, my 4000 year old midget grandson, (he's actually 10, but such an old soul), keeps me updated on many of his own readings...Harry Potter is on the top of his list thus far...sigh.

    Was 67 yesterday, but today, it's going to be in the low 50's, but it's blowing outside, so the wind chill temps feel so much colder. We have always felt we live in God's country out here in the Southwest, the low desert anyway. However, it's no blessing in the summer..scorching temps with humidity. Oh well, I guess there has to be a balance somewhere.

    Anyway, stay in and stay warm, my friend...please take care of yourself. Have a wonderful week...hopefully that sun will punch through those clouds.

    xxoo,
    Georgina

    ReplyDelete