Saturday, March 6, 2010

Three days in a row.... beautiful sunshine


I met my daughter for lunch and we enjoyed our act of running away...and enjoying a big girl lunch just me and her! She could not be comfortable going to a movie and I do understand the pull of returning home to care for Ryan and the girls. We laughed...discussed our daily schedules...upcoming commitments... Maya Rose's star role in her Drama club's annual production on the 16th... Dad's possible new challenges...life in general. "It is a happy talent to know how to play." Ralph Waldo Emerson I want my children as adults to be responsible but still maintain a sense of play... never let the the routines get you down and always look up.

I picked up my pal Rosie at the dog groomer and she has a Dutch girl haircut that she is sporting...$34.00 for her grooming treatments and I go to Walmart for my sensible haircut at the price of $14.99. Who is really Top Dog in this relationship? Her puppy cut is so easy to maintain and is easier for a fast clean up but I do hope the worst of winter's winds have subsided...she certainly does not dawdle when Nature calls. :o)

I am continuing my re-exploration of Wabi Sabi...metaphysical, spiritual, moral principles, come from ideas about Simplicity, naturalism, and acceptance of reality. Maybe that is why I am fascinated in the discovery of hand blended teas and their properties...creating a simple tea ceremony for myself...taking time to share with Ken...and gradually slowing down the noise of chaos in our daily lives. I found time to celebrate the bright sunshine and clear blue skies. The air was crisp but I am on a quiet search to find if my daffodils have sprouted up from the frozen earth on the hillside...real affirmation for the Springs promise of beauty and aesthetics from the soil's womb. Imagine and Live in Peace, Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart

3 comments:

  1. I think a lot of artists are loking at slowing down and enjoying all that we normally miss.
    Cleaning the plate, getting a fresh start with different objectives......I need to reread my wabi-sabi book at the *right* time. (at the moment, the brain is going too many different directions to hold the ideas and ideals it lists)
    and yes, PLAY is essential to mental health and as a whole, we are a society that has tried to banish it.....which leaves a lot of very unhappy people.
    Great post; my brain is ticking! :)

    XXOO!!
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Wabi-Sabi aesthetics. I wrote my final proposal on my projects for my ceramic class using Wabi-Sabi teachings. My prof loved the paper and my final ceramic pieces. Wonderful post, but they always are. Sending you more sunshine your way...we have too much of it anyway!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mary. I hope you got the leaf button. I sent it last week. Enjoyed reading your posts about the principles of Wabi Sabi and how you use them. Never heard of it before. I hope your daughter's husband is back up and running soon. The no-insurance thing is a huge worry for me too. I was hoping Obama would do something to fix the state of health care in this country but it doesn't look like that is going to happen at least not as much as it should. You are right about middle schools. They suck!! I was a teacher up to two years ago. It is not easy doing without a paycheck but it is definitely healthier physically and mentally to be away from teaching (at least in the type of schools I was at).

    ReplyDelete