Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Rebel Without a Cause...


I know I should be sleeping...it is late after twelve...and I have to get up early...but this James Dean, Natalie Wood and Sal Mineo draw me into their teen turmoil every time. The angst... the loneliness... the dysfunctional families... the lack of communication. I was only five when this movie came out 1955. The roles of men and women were so well defined and rigid. Yet this movie rings true today...the problems are a little different but still so familiar. The teen years were not that happy for me...I was the oldest in the family...and this is how I should be a good example for my brothers and sister. "What do you really want?" "Learning to love someone." Taking risks...without thinking about the consequences...the first kiss... the rebellious yearning to find their own identity. Bullying was as prevalent then as it is today in the high schools if your were somewhat "different" from the norm...have we learned anything in the last 50 years?

Now I know why this won an Oscar... juveniles yearning to be themselves. Goodnight and dream of Peace, Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart

Dennis Hopper is in this movie too...I never noticed before.

5 comments:

  1. Have we learned anything since the Roman times? No, probably not.
    But your photo is beautiful and I am sitting just soaking it in.....thanks for posting it!
    Take care, and do get rest. Last night must have been the *no sleep night* everywhere.....

    XXOO!!
    Anne....totally without beauty sleep....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I din't sleep last night either. I was up at 1:30 am, wide awake, so decided to just get up and read, thinking that would make me sleepy again. Well, it didn't, so here I am still up and trying to get ready for the day.
    I think each generation of teens have about the same basic set of difficulties. I think we learn bit by bit, but it is a slow process.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes he was a very young Hopper eh? I remember that movie, the more things change, the more they stay the same!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Giant was on later that night but I finally fell asleep...well for two hours at least. Hugs as we survive winter...Spring is coming :o) Imagine and Live in Peace, Mary Helen

    Ken is still healing but every day he is better.

    ReplyDelete