Tuesday, March 2, 2010

tea for Tuesdays...Persian Dreams








I have spent the day in...and it seems I did stay busy. My little sister asked what do I do? Why is it that when you work from home others sometimes question exactly what I do for work? She had had a very rough day so I let it pass. She is teaching in the worst middle school in Louisville,KY...it may be the worst in the state of Kentucky. Teachers have a very difficult occupation in today's fluctuating values and morals in our society. I listened to Colin Powell and his wife speak this morning to all of America to find one way to make a difference in a child's life. It really does not even matter what you share with a child who is overwhelmed and often feels alone...but you must use your talents and gifts and mentor a child. I thought about this all day as I worked with my art processes and listened to the soft voice of Leonard Cohen as I relived my youthful optimistic youth. I was one of the lucky ones...I have received Love in each decade of my life...this has made a difference when I face obstacles in my life...failed relationships, chronic disease and the normal losses we face as adults...yet I am still here. I am a strong, determined woman who lives each day to my fullest...because I have been loved and I can.

I worked on the delivery envelopes for my tea exchange and actually had a good time working freely and undisturbed...listening to my music and studying the wildlife outside my back door. I really enjoyed all the comments received from yesterday's tea excursion. If you are in the neighborhood I would love to share this joyful and serene shop. I could spend every penny in there but I will attempt to just taste and enjoy a taste of the world one blend at a time. I also worked on some ATC's and even painted a journal page without even thinking about the "what if" I can not do it right? Who says? Right or wrong? I just kept moving.

I also worked on my Hunger Moon photo that I am manipulating in so many processes. I did not like one step but after some thought I began reworking my marks and as it is drying I like what I am beginning to see come together. Yes, I know it is now March... I am moving slowly like my three toed sloth in the green mossy treetops. I hope to have it together by Friday so I will have another small work to share when I demonstrate for Creation Days at the Catholic elementary school this Friday from 7:45 am to about 3 pm. Whew that is a long day for us all! Wish me luck!

I am meeting my daughter Tina tomorrow morning to sit with her while her husband has surgery to repair a hernia. Then I need to get to the bank and check some facts...I am still trying to make ends meet in my dwindling checkbook and savings. maybe there will be a surplus stimulus for an artist that I have not heard about...:o). It is also my discount day at the Goodwill so maybe I can continue on my quest to "re-purpose" for my narratives for the exhibit.

"ring the bells that still ring,
forget the perfect offering.
there is a crack in everything...
that is how the light gets in."
Leonard Cohen

Imagine and Live in Peace, Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are busy. Since I retired people think I do nothing, but really I don['t have enough hours in the day to do all the things I want to do. I am a retired nurse, a hard job, but I think a teacher has a harder one. Yes, artists are misunderstood I believe, by most everyone. Even when I was a nurse, my primary love was art. I'm lucky I'm able to stay home and do the things I love....enjoying the simple things. I know you do that every day, and most need to slow down and remember to do the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. a great post! how fun to see your day in pictures! and i love the cohen quote, perfect

    ReplyDelete