Monday, June 22, 2009

*June 1967...where were you?

Today I was enjoying a blast from the past...The Monterey Pop Festival in California on the Sundance channel documentary. That summer I was working my life guard job at Sun Valley with my first crush on the pro shop manager. Today I relived the Mams and the Papas, Janis Joplin, The Who breaking up their guitars...still I ask myself Why?, Simon and Garfunkel, Grace Slick and Jefferson Airplane, Otis Redding and Jimi Hendrix... they all looked so young because they were young. Today they don't appear to be that radical with their long hair and flowers painted on their faces smoking pot openly in a field. I was so naive myself and realize now I totally did not understand the meaning of these rock stars and their lyrics. Catholic school had already done a number on me and guilt ruled my focus. Good girls don't get involved in this free love movement... at least not until much later in my life.
The girls and I had a quiet Monday where they worked with gel pens to complete funky contemporary wooden/paper dolls. I was amazed at their quiet focus and I know I have to get back to my works but today was a lazy hazy day and we have already made plans to have a swimming afternoon tomorrow. They attempted to pick the last of the cherries of this season but to be honest I really don't mind letting the birds have their summer feast. As we were finishing the young buck with the velvet antlers came out of the shadows of the green refuge in the full trees. I could not get a photo because he is wise enough not to put himself out in the open and possible danger zones. We were all in awe of his young majestic being and spirit as he slowly withdrew from our sight on the side hill of our cabin. Simple gifts...simplicity...serenity all just outside my back door. Imagine and Live in Peace, Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart

No comments:

Post a Comment