Wednesday, March 11, 2009

the smallest of daffodils teaches us courage...

Today I had an off day where my body could not do what I had planned...could that lemon cello have been strong enough to throw off my inner balance? The answer is Yes and I should know better. I ended up catching up on my housework ...yikes I must be sick. I am quilting now and that is my most effective way to find my equilibrium. A good herbal tea with antioxidants will also be an additional bonus so tomorrow will be a more normal approach. Ken came home with a wonderful batik from South Africa to incorporate into the exhibit about Motherhood around the world. The student, Heather Pritchard spent the last couple of weeks in a small village named Khayelitsha, South Africa. Heather stayed in the shanty towns with her community service work and visited historical landmarks for three weeks. I will work very hard to make Heather proud as I piece my narrative together. The creator of the batik was a woman artist who lives a half hour drive outside of Capetown. I can't wait to get started on this piece!
I am working on my collage exchange with others from around the globe for the collage exhibit in New Zealand. Does this mean I can now back to New Zealand? Maybe!!! I am using a "theme" approach to this process and I want to tell a story about my life here in Newark, Ohio with my family and friends. This means I really will wait and see how this process evolves for me and be surprised along with others when I get to the final stage. I am witnessing Seth's process where he is using "rough in texture...withered in rhyme... a crossing of surface sublime." It is wonderful to experience another's work steps and gradual development of this project. Admiration and enthusiasm is contagious even over the Internet...who knew?
Tomorrow is my docent day in the LCA gallery at 38 South Third Street and I am hoping to bring a new member into the fold. I met her last night, Sharron England is an artist who works with drawing and colored pencils; she is a close friend with Tawna over at the Works. She has invited me to their convention over in Columbus in August with other decorative artists to see how they network to teach around the USA. I was mistaken to believe that decorative arts was tole painting but I discovered that I am misguided. Sharron has her own health issues but continues to carry on and we plan another night of art making in the near future. "Art enables us to find ourselves and lose ourselves at the same time." Thomas Merton
I need to get back to my work but will see some of your tomorrow. Imagine and live in Peace, Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart

No comments:

Post a Comment