Thursday, May 13, 2010

Whispers and Echoes of Women's Work





Today has been an incredible day full of stop. search, pick up my postcards, check in with the gallery curator Lyn, Check in with Nathan the computer graphics resource person extraordinaire, a quick conversation with Marcia the director and many others working at the The Works ...our dear friend Howard LeFevre's legacy for all of Licking county. I dropped off some of the postcards at the Licking County Gallery and Argyle Gallery for their patrons to pick up when they come in for a gallery walk. While I was at the LCA I ran into Vicki Noble and celebrated Jennifer's winning the photography contest for celebrating life in Licking County. She won first place and a trip to Chicago for two...You go Girl! Yes I am on the board for the Licking County Convention and Visitors Bureau but NO! I did not make the selection. But secretly I knew Jennifer is one of our best photographers in our area and she has a real sense of how life is celebrated living here in our diverse and enriching community.

I dropped by Michael's for a few last minute supplies and then headed for JoAnn's for a pure linen fabric to continue my transfers onto the luxury and feel of natural linen. I shared the postcards with the women who have supported me every time I found myself struggling to find the right product, the best adhesive, the clay softeners, the correct threads and needles ...these kind people have been by my side as I struggled with one thing or another. I went to my vintage fibers resource... little thrift shops and met another friend when we decided we both deserved a good turkey burger, complete with Havarti cheese, avocado and even some delicious bacon. Yes I was bad but I had steamed broccoli instead of french fries....that equals the good with the so called bad :O)! Carol and I caught up on the last few months of activities and made plans to have a girls movie afternoon after the exhibit goes up.

When I came home Ken and I made another list to email to Lyn for additional family and personal patrons so they could go out with the total Works mailing lists. Now I am pulling the edges of my linen piece so I hand make some hand sewn embellishments and sew the complete three layers together and layer over a light cotton batting. Whew ...I am late...I am late...for a very important date...I feel as if I am the Mad Hatter running through the forest in Alice in Wonderland. Have a great evening and Imagine and Live in Peace, Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart

4 comments:

  1. Kathy and I have also posted a link to your show opening at The Works on our joint FaceBook page. It was good to see you today, even with all the goings on trying to get ready for the Art Walk before our vacation trip. Take care of yourself and tell Mr Ken hello.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All the Very Best to You as you prepare for your upcoming show, thinking of you, Lennie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so excited for you! :)Bea

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats to you, Mary Helen! Your quilts are simply amazing!! I'm so stoked for you!!

    ReplyDelete