Saturday, May 15, 2010

A busy Friday and Saturday....wooo hold on for your life!




Last night Ken and I went to Kendall Retirement complex extraordinaire for an art opening with Marilyn Stocker and Kathy Anderson. It is a beautiful exhibit filed with diverse subjects and beautiful paintings. The reception was a mutual evening of respect and honor for the community that lives there and two wonderful artists. I reconnected with several good friends and invited Bernice Siefert to bring her gals to come to my opening in a couple of weeks and shared our trip tomorrow to Oberlin for the opening of the "Artist as Quiltmaker VIV",,,FAVA 's 14th biennial exhibition of Contemporary quilts curated by Carolyn Mazloomi from 2to 4 pm. I will hopefully get some good photos of the artists works...it looks like it is a spectacular show and I am fortunate to be with some wonderful artists that I enjoy their vision and focus in the art quilt movement.

Ken and I stopped by our dear friend Helen to see her and her new addition to her family Prince Maui...her new little Yorkie pup. She has Angel and Brutus so it is a three ring circus when they all get to playing. Ken made her some of his delicious fudge so she was as happy as a new mother with her new babies and Fudge! We Helen and I have been friends for over 24 years since we met when she attended a Bingo we were working back the Mater Dei Academy...Mother of God elementary school whee Sherry and Tina attended school for one year. (That was enough but that is another story)

Then Ken and I went to a fund raiser for our Relay for Life Cancer with my wonderful friend Mac Arnold donating his time and talents at Bake and Brew...the home of some pretty OK foods. It was a fun night where we ran into several neighbors, teachers from St. Francis, students fro Newark Catholic High School and of course Mac. The foods were delicious and so many to taste and enjoy...The Newark Jaycees had a fun crew volunteering for the silent and public auction and I promised if I could get there I would come and cheer the participants and survivors as they made their laps.

I have worked all day on my Matthew Shepard work for the exhibit...this one is a combination tribute to the love and heroic courage his mother Judy has demonstrated to erase Hate from our society. There are so many things I do not understand in this world and while I was on the computer I was saddened by the hate mongering from the Catholic church, the Baptist hell-fire and damnation propaganda and reminded of the power of one individual...make a stand and change the world complexities. This has been a tearful process for me and if you are able be sure to see "The Laramie Project"...HBO is running it here today and on Monday.... the power of one.
Back to work for now! Imagine and Live in Peace, Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart

to see FAVA's exhibit and information go to www.favagallery

No comments:

Post a Comment