Thursday, February 28, 2013

A gray day and a new friend...

Today has been a complicated day...a dear young mother came in today to share that she had just signed her divorce papers.  She would be moving to a smaller home for her and her two young children on Saturday and Sunday.  My heart sank  when I struggled to chose my words carefully as to console her and let her know I can be here to listen.  In these circumstances...there are no winners... and I am praying she will find and collect her women friends and "circle the wagons" as she enters a new chapter of her life. 

I also had another dear friend stop by after her doctor's visit today and gave her the quilt with the new sleeve for installing in this new baby that will arrive very soon.  This couple...are so dedicated to each other and he has been to every visit along side her.  She got to preview the collage I am making for her and the new baby.  Unfortunately I did not have the camera card in my camera so photos will come tomorrow.  I found some green vellum to cut my jungle leaves to surround the giraffe, the elephant and the cute little monkey.  It will not be finish by the shower but I want to take my time to create a whimsical composition they will all enjoy.

Then we received a phone call...Ken's beloved mother Elizabeth fell today and opened a nasty gash over her eye and under the brow.  She is bruised and confused the staff called in Hospice.  The two sisters who live there in Marion ended up taking her into the emergency room...poor Mom does not even know what happened ...who fell? ...she asked.  My love for the sisters who are there day and night to make the calls ...run to the hospital...make the first decisions... living daily with the losing of a great lady ...one day at a time.  Say a prayer for my dear husband Ken...he is experiencing a very heavy heart tonight.

But as usual I do try to remember to be grateful for my day's work...I met a very charming painter named Michael S. McGinn who is working to paint for an exhibit here at The Works late 2014.  He has a powerful 




he captures the everyday homesteads... and landmarks...
 the major thorough fares and neon landmarks on Route 40...
our very festive Short North Gallery district...
 Polonia Food market and quick service opened in 1956...
 our fresh fruit and vegetable market at the North Market in Columbus....





and a church landmark near the expressway 70 and 71....near German Village...
use of dynamic colors and has painted landmarks all around Columbus.  For the next two years he will visit, sketch and document our landmarks of Licking County.  I look forward to having him visit and capture the beauty that is surrounding us all here in our own home town.  Michael had a gentle spirit and shared some facts about his journey.  I do wish I could have had more time to listen to his journey...but I came in late due to the fact I had to make a stop at my friendly optometrist.  I have included a couple of examples of his Columbus works...just a preview to what will be coming.  Thank you for listening and your loving gentle support.  We all know some days are easier than others.  Art Saves Lives!  Imagine and Live in Peace,  Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart


3 comments:

  1. love to all who love and care about Ken's mother Elizabeth. it's hard to handle news like that. Blessings, Oma Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nurturing from a distance leaves one desperately wanting to do more, but then there's that distance. It's what happens in modern life when people become scattered. I know from experience. The only way is "one day at a time" as you wrote. The paintings of your artist friend are delightful reflections of everyday modern life. I especially like the fruit and vegetable market painting. Perhaps he will set up his easel inside your busy studio! That would be fun to see.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry to hear about Ken's Mom.....You will all be in my thoughts and prayers!!

    ReplyDelete