Tuesday, February 26, 2013

the third graders of Legend....but Bing Davis was not there

It has been just like I imagined the floods Noah faced in the bible....we had rain almost all of the day.  I decided to create a special collage for two people who love children and are expecting their first child in about 6 weeks.  The baby shower is this weekend...Mom in law and mothers will all be gathered to see the new baby's room and share all the maternal knowledge they have to give.  The new father is waiting ...patiently ...and a little overwhelmed by the changes during the last 8 months.  They are working on a simple but engaging room in a jungle theme so I am creating the very beginnings of a jungle complete with a giraffe, and a baby elephant and of course a silly, happy monkey! 

I am watching "Makers : Women Who Make America" ...a three hour special that documents and reveals the formative years of my life growing up female in America....  Feminism, the change in TV, The Feminine Mystic, Booby Riggs and Billie Jean king tennis competition!  I graduated from high school in 1968 !! I am enjoying this so far..I hope they remain true to their PBS standards!!

 rose buds..saving them for future paper making in the warmth of June....
 soft teal skies...soothing blues for the new baby
gesso the blank canvas....then begin...it sounds so simple...
 a rough giraffe takes life form...
 this is a poster over at OSU ...that is my quilt behind the children who are reading... I feel a sense of pride every time I see my quilt living here...
 the happy family with Isiah....
 he shares his first art project in his third grade class... Braden is behind him...
 look at this inquisitive little 4 year old...he melts my heart...
 Sophia with the beautiful red hair with Isiah....
 I think Candice has every reason to be smiling...
 Mr. Anderson spoke to the students.. the teachers and thanked the parents for supporting their children...
 look at this handsome young artist.........
 Mom and Dad are pretty happy also!!!
 Braden wanted his photo taken also...
 this tree book was very intriguing...
 we are both giggle boxes...rosy cheeks rule the night!

 sweet idea!
 Prayer for the Masasi Warrior...8 1/2 feet tall by 5 feet wide...the right to an education for everyone...
 Congratulations Isiah!

Earlier I attended a special exhibit over at OSU campus of third grade students from Legend Elementary exploring diversity and working in teams.  My friend Willis Bing Davis was scheduled to give the talk and hand out certificates..and such.  But for some reason he was unable to attend and the young man who spoke ...well he needs to recognize his audience...we could not understand him and the children were very well behaved but I think got very little out of it.  My young friend Isiah shared his sculptural leaves and artist statement with Ken and I.  He had his little friends Sophia with beautiful red hair and her little brother Braden.  We all enjoyed ourselves at our table and viewed the tree made out of books complete with lights!   It is such an empowering gift to a young child to celebrate and recognize the young artist in their first explorations.  Enjoy the photos!!  Imagine and Live in Peace,  Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart


4 comments:

  1. what a beautiful post, it is so admirable to celebrate and recognize a young artist, and you my dear are an inspiration... xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the picture of you with Braden - you are kindred spirits! And the quilt is stunning. I think what your community does for art is simply amazing! xox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Be sure not to leave out the monkey, they are so popular with kiddies today. Sweetness all around!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so grateful for my artist life!!!!!!!!!!!! Imagine and Live in Peace, Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart

    ReplyDelete