Sunday, February 24, 2013

Oscar night and I am just quilting away...

I read today how many artists love Sundays...if we are lucky enough we can slow down, take a breathe , catch up on some inspirational blog posts, cook a new recipe for a slow cook dinner, actually finish the laundry pile ...and find time to enjoy the Ohio State basketball game!  The skies were dark and as Ken graded his research papers I took a much needed nap under a warm quilt with Roxie sleeping on my hip.  For some reason she likes to be up high ... but her warmth and quiet time was much appreciated. 

Yesterday I worked with my friend Branson on introducing him to mixed media and the playing with stencils.  The STEM science event was happening at the same time and luckily Branson's school was competing right outside my studio.  Future engineers and architects created teams to build toothpick bridges.  The energy and dedication of these individual teams worked together , solving design problems, sharing and advising each other to put their best work forward.  It is so exciting to see and celebrate these young scientists with their proud parents waiting in the wings.  I am including some photos of both group of kids and the progress they made.  I hope you have had a wonderful weekend.  I look forward to sunshine tomorrow!  Imagine and Live in Peace,  Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart
 Branson arrives earlier with each week's activities.....
 Heritage Middle school at the STEMfest at The Works
 this is a large team but they seem to solve their problems and made a great presentation...

 yes they still have to have those presentation boards...Nerdy Newtons...



the judges and engineers preparing for the first judging...OU students came in to make the actual weight measurements...
 I love the names they chose for their teams...very creative..

 this is made  of toothpicks and glue...........

 another design of a bridge made out of toothpicks..........

 look .......our future is bright with energetic teams exploring Science...........
Branson shared his drawing with his principal...

 adding his name to his portfolio this week.........
 playing...adding acrylics...working with stencils.....
 looking through to the possibilities......inspirations from Nature....
 adding a variety of permanent pens....colors...paint pens...
 this mixed media work is blooming........
 nest week we will explore pastels   and sketching bull mastiffs...
 thank you Ken for supplying us with a variety of poses...
 still he can add more strokes...to make is real ish....
 pastels explanation and maybe a small journal to carry with him as a reward...
 I ran into some of my Wednesday artists...with their big brother in the competition ...Brooklyn ...sorry my camera is out of focus...










little Ariel was working in the food market part of the imagination sections at The Works...I love these kids!
"To paint is to love again."  Henry Miller








Hopefully I will be back tomorrow with more special art stories.  Art Saves Lives!

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful tree interpretations! How rewarding for the young, the work you do...

    ReplyDelete