Tuesday, February 12, 2013

"Fat Tuesday"....Presidential State of the Union....Westminster Dog Show...

Today ended up being a great day!  The sun was brilliant and as I walked out with the dogs I took notice up the beginnings of Spring popping up from the soil.  The sunset was brilliant and after 6 tonight...the days are getting longer. 

Fat Tuesday....Mardi Gras is in full swing in New Orleans...I had my beads in the studio but failed to actually put them on.  I had several great visits today as I continued my cards for the special requests...honestly I truly enjoy putting these unique cards together and they really do help me pay my rent.  Lisa brought her beautiful daughter in to meet me ...and she is interested in working with me in the studio...outreach or personal art making...her eyes seemed to brighten when she walked into the studio.  I will complete my time with my young man...and then work her into the schedule.  I advised her to take a book making workshop at LCA because she also is a writer...combination of two strong characteristics words and images.  She and her Mother are coming to The Works on Sunday for the lecture by Rosa Rojas and an opportunity yo meet some of the artists in the Communication Collaboration exhibit.   Our opening had been cancelled due to level two road conditions with dangerous icy roads.

I have been trying to watch the big dog show in New York...I always get a kick out how often the dogs and the trainers often look alike...maybe it is just me but this ring of competition is very amusing to watch annually.  Yes I will switch back to hear the presidents optimistic visions for this new era.  Hopefully the atmosphere in Washington will all take a chill pill and listen to one another and then find an equitable compromise. 

 working with my friend Branson....the power of the pencil.....
 the beginnings of his portrait of a miner....
 tonal shadings....shapes... proportions in the human face...all expanding the power of pencil...
 a quiet young man...intense and curious about working maybe in colored pencils....
 simple strokes...patiently bringing a sketch to life...next we will move to working with photos to quick sketches....
 Branson studies the the works in the Central Gallery created by Richard Duarte Browns outreach groups in Columbus...all created from recycled materials...
 look at the innocence here...a new beginning...hopeful youth...
 I gave him a new sketch book, a set of pencils for sketches and an eraser plus an acid free portfolio to keep him inspirations and small works safe from harm....
 Candice is working up her images for the Newark Soccer Leagues 2013 tournament.......working with the local Seratoma group educating the community on good hearing health...
 two sweet friends came in for lunch and I will be completing a 12 by 12  canvas collage for Judy to pick up this Friday...













My  work space continues to ebb and flow...I try but the table is always evolving.........

 Hannah Marie shared her beautiful and stylish frog hat!  Check out her bag.......
 a child's smile...simple gifts ......
 Jay was having a rough day....missing Marco...so I made a special Valentine to give his Mom and Dad......
 Lisa Stewart and her beautiful daughter came in for a visit...we will be making some plans in the very near future but I had  advised her to take a LCA workshop on book making ...she is a writer as well as an artist...





the beautiful end of a beautiful day....
Now as the Best of Show is about to begin and I need to return to my handwork...enjoy my day in the studio.  I never seem to get as much as I think I should get done...but I am visible and present.  A working artist making a difference....in myself...my family...my community. 

The final selections of best of show 2013.... the winners are reserve old English sheep dog Swagger....137th Banana Joe....sorry I cannot remember how to spell the winner's breeds name....but he is a cute tiny black terrier.  Now I need to go to bed and hug my two canine winners   Rosie and Roxie!  Imagine and Live in Peace,  Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart

5 comments:

  1. Banana Joe will now retire to his home in the Netherlands....happy breeding time of his life. A tiny dog competing with the big dogs ...in the best of show ring. Yes,... the little guy can win in this big world. Sweet dreams. Peace, Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad the affenpinscher Banana Joe got to retire a winner-he's a cutie- but can't believe he won over the others!!! The dog show was a better viewing choice than the State of the Union!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love those dog shows. They are all amazing! Your friend Branson is very talented!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's precisely because you are visible and present that you never get as much done in the studio as you'd like. But, the smiles are reward enough, I bet. :)

    ReplyDelete