Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Tea for Tuesdays....blackberry zinger for a zinger of a day
















Yesterday was a gray and rainy here ...and I felt poopy so I stayed home and washed the next bolt of fabric and the three large pieces and than made an order to Dharma in California. Today was sunny and in the seventies...does Mother nature realize it is still March and winter?? I am not complaining because the daffodils are here and the warmth feels great on my skin ...but I still feel a bit anxious about this very unusual weather. Remember I was prepared to snow dye...and we never really got any snow. Today I worked on some pleating on wet into wet cotton and brushed the folds at intervals with a soft watercolor brush. I ironed the turquoise and deep red print and examined where I will paint in the next colors. I am really having a very difficult time adjusting to this time change...my sleep pattern is off and one hour can really make a difference in my body rhythms.

On Saturday I am sharing my belief that Art and Literacy walk hand in hand in my grand children's growth and development. It will be St. Patrick's day so I plan to have a little fun with the color green. In the afternoon I am working on a recycling and Art project. I know everyone is struggling with making ends meet so working with found objects and cereal boxes can answer the call for materials to paint and manipulate. Tomorrow I will return to the downtown studio and put together some necessary supplies.

I have found an old typewriter at St. Vincent's and I plan on using it to type words and messages onto soft metal sheets. It is a lot more difficult to type on this machine but I found it charming when I practiced on a sheet of erasable paper...there was even a special pink eraser inside the carrier for the typewriter. I had also found a a piece of a wasp nest...that I photographed and painted with the left over dyes and then I made prints of the honeycomb as evidence of the day.

I came home and made a comfort food for dinner...Spanish rice with black beans, tomatoes, and shredded sharp cheese melted on top. Ken and I had busy days so coming home to rest and find a quiet moment ...well that is what home is about. I am working on my bracket for the basketball tournament ...even if I do not know what the heck I am doing it is sort of fun to have this to share with Ken and my sister. I hope you are having a great week in the sunshine. Imagine and live in peace, Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart

7 comments:

  1. What wonderful dyed fabrics! Sun is shining here, almost like summer days. Yes, quite unusual for this time of year. Happy tea day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These pieces of fabrics are about 3 to 4 yards and I am having a great time in the warmth of the day. These are just the beginning layers of the paintings...say a prayer I can keep up! happy Tea day tp you too!!! Love, Mary helen Fernandez Stewart

      Delete
  2. I too have difficulty adjusting to the time change. Funny that. The older I get the harder it is. Oh no, it's finally happening.
    Love the colors and I know you love the rich feel of the dye and cloth. Lovely.
    Nice here yesterday and today and then we will have snow and rain the weeks end.
    I like the idea of the typewriter. You'll have to let us see how your idea translates to the soft metal. I'm looking forward to that.
    Have a blessed week my friend, Oma Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. These dyed pieces look really interesting Mary Helen. Like rorschach ink blots, have fun typing on metal, don't cramp your fingers. xox Corrine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I began painting a "bare tree" themed piece today with the beginnings of the sweet yellowing of buds and leaves. Yes I love the old typewriter ...I am planning to explore some alternatives to add messages hidden in this installation. Trust me I will not over do my typing...it just does feel like I am back in the 60's once again. Thank you for your Rorschach observation...they are going to be cut in halves a little later. Peace, Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart

      Delete
  4. Your dye project looks like spring blooms! And your typewriter is quite a find! You will have many projects emerging from these foundations you have today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kimmie...I am sure this is just the beginning of a wonderful journey in bright vivid colors! I already love my typewriter!! Have a great week in your studio! Peace, Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart

      Delete