Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Tea for Tuesdays at Dawes...












We started this morning... with bitter cold and a few snowflakes. All of my Spring delights are rising up from the winter's clutter of debris and dry leaves. I am hopeful we are not going to experience winter's rage late in March or even April. Roxie and Rosie seem to really enjoy the warmth of the sunshine in the afternoon... I enjoyed sitting on the back deck watching their enthusiastic leaps and bounds. After a day in the wet studio ...I made fresh salmon with lemon butter and a baked potato with a trio selection of grapes for our fruit/salad selection. I made some green tea today with the lemon zest for my Tuesday celebration of embracing the warmth of the day.

I worked on cutting another bolt of fabric today and washed it this afternoon. I made my soda ash solution and began soaking the heaviest ...hopefully my last delivery will arrive tomorrow. I worked in a silent review of painting directly onto the fabrics with my Seta COLOURS. I layered the colors wet into wet ...allowing it to dry slightly and then building up another layer of sheer color and some shimmer. I absolutely love the direct application with the large fluffy brushes...I can practice my brush strokes as I move into painting with the thicken dyes. I have to remind myself ...patience...patience... and more patience. I hope to prepare some of the dye recipes tomorrow.. I am anxious and yet ready to begin the big pieces of fabric.

I hope you are enjoying good weather now and being creative in your studios. Martha Marshall has shared a couple tutorial videos on mono-printing with me that I look for to experimenting with them on fabrics. I am really immersed ...in this whole process. Blessings and here's to a peaceful Wednesday! Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart

12 comments:

  1. Looks beautiful! And sounds like a very peaceful, contented day of creating :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your loving support...I am shaking in my boots but you are right...it is a peaceful place to work. Have a great week! Peace, Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart

      Delete
  2. o such pretty marks & fabrics! i am so excited for you! can't wait to see more!!! your salmon and tea sound delicious too!! happy tea day a little late...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am just getting started ...I have so much to do and if I really think about it ...well I just won't! One day at a time...the flow of the paintbrush onto the cloth...such a magical process. Peace, Mary Helen

      Delete
  3. Beautiful creations! A great space!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I took some inspirational photos today of the greening in the arboretum...soft greens coming into visual connection with my heart. Peace, Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart

      Delete
  4. I love the dying! I just had a class from a friend where we dyed in the microwave! Minimal mess(of course small pieces only as they need to fit in a container) but I am hooked!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooooh I want to know more!!!! You are welcomed to come down once I get the start of this enormous installation going...I have washed 50 yards of a heavy cotton twill so I do not think it will fit in a microwave :0). Peace, Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart

      Delete
  5. Those fabrics are really beautiful. I am a pretty impatient artist (and sloppy, too!), but I would love to take some printmaking classes, and make some mono-prints. Lovely work! We are having a pretty sunshiny day here. xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really mono prints are addictive...and I am hoping to make the visiting board members a small print to take home with them. Thank you for your loving support. Peace, Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart

      Delete
  6. This is so fabulous. I work with my friend who is a silk painter and I love the mess, the accidental wonderfulness and the fun. I'm enjoying your process. Oma Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right on the button...the accidental surprises seem to delight the child inside me... now some days are better than others but one baby step at a time. Stay tuned...I need all the cheerleaders one can have :0)! Peace, Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart

      Delete