Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Gratitude for such a glorious day of warmth and sunshine...























I began some direct dye painting this afternoon...the bare trees are coming alive with slight bright colors of greens and yellows. The birds are in a melodic symphony outside my studio windows and I am finding quiet peace ...working in solitude. Members of the staff wander and I try to make them feel welcomed. Their curiosity feeds my soul as I bare my heart's desire to bring the admiration I feel for this sacred earth place to life through an artist's touching marks. I worked with the little ones tonight to celebrate St. Patrick's Day..we made 4 by 4 inch canvas paintings of their very own lucky shamrocks. A puddle of blue wash... four joined lime green hearts unite to make a shamrock...and then a second glitter green on top of their shamrock to add just the right amount of glitz!!! I put their names and today's date on the back and advised them to bring them out every year to mark the celebration. I think they had a wonderful time but I am very tired tonight ...a good tired but tired.

I heard from Gabriela and she and her husband may be making a trip to Newark so we can have a dyeing party. I Am thrilled with the possibility but I will have to check with Ken's schedule to see where this might fit in. This project is a wonderful way of sharing the beauty of Dawes Arboretum and the collaboration between two cultures offers infinite possibilities.

I hope you enjoy the progress photos...they are revealing even to me. Imagine and Live in Peace, Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart


P.S. How do you like my version of the Lorax????

6 comments:

  1. Love it! I keep a daily gratitude journal and I think I will start putting some little illustrations in it, as art just explains better just how much one enjoys life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sketching my gratitude does not take any time per say but often opens new gateways to our inner child. Aren't those shamrocks just too sweet?? Peace, Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart

      Delete
  2. I love that you are finding gratitude in all the small things in each day! I, too, am recording these things with a friend in Queensland. It makes you really take notice, doesn't it? Love that pink-glassed little girl...so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That little sweet girl is named Ari and the apple of her parents eyes and heart. She has enormous energy and shares joy with all she meets. Do you live in Queensland? I was so lucky to have been able to visit Australia and I was staying in Brisbane. My trip hanged my life and leaves me breathless when I return to my travel journals and hope some day to return to your beautiful country . Gratitude came from accepting the miracle of taking an enormous risk and living in the moment. Peace be with you! Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart

      Delete
    2. I meant to say changed my life...whoops I am tired. Peace, Mary Helen

      Delete
  3. Such lovely trees and journal. The kids are so cute painting their projects. The girl in the pink glasses is such a hoot!

    ReplyDelete