Friday, December 24, 2010

Christmas eve and all through the house meories flood my heart...




I am a bit misty eyed right now. Ken and I have just finished wrapping the last Christmas presents. "Miracle on 34th Street" is on AMC channel and I am remembering the thoughts about my Christmas with my parents and siblings in the house at 8205 Terry Road. Usually we had a pretty funky Charlie Brown tree that my Dad would hang a motion detective ornament who sings and tweets whenever someone walks by the tree. I remember holding my infant niece Jessica near my neck..she is now a mother of three children herself. I remember the flame shooting Godzilla monster that my nephew loved dearly. A huge 24 pound turkey roasting in the oven with all the fixings...dressing, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, rolls, yams with marshmallows, and cranberry sauce from the can, pecan pie, pumpkin pie...well you get the idea that we never went hungry on Christmas. I am not sure we knew Martha Stewart back in the 1960's and traditions came from family combination recipes. It did seem to be less pressure then to how "things looked and how menus were created and prepared"...sorry Martha we may not have had the prettiest cookies but they sure were fun to decorate and yes I remember a person or two licking the knife and continuing their duties. I feel very sentimental tonight but I am so blessed to be able to have had this simple experience. I remember the first boy friends, awkward social situations...we had one phone on the kitchen wall in earshot to everyone in the kitchen,dining room, and living room. Yes there were squabbles at times...children worn out beyond their time limits...frustration expressed in young parents eyes as grandparents gave the children another piece of sugary treats... for example. But we were together and knew we were loved. I love you Mom and Dad for giving me this life...I miss you both each and every day.

Now I must return to my tardy cards so that they can go out in the morning. We are serving a free Christmas dinner with the Salome family...everyone is invited to come down to the Elks and have a celebration of the season. From 11 to 3 there is always room at the table and you are welcomed. Skip and Carole along with their children have prepared and paid for this feast and are creating a memory for the human heart. May your days be filled with blessed memories and soft embraces and snowflake kisses on your cheeks. Merry Christmas to you all. "White Christmas" is coming on now...boy did they know how to sing and dance back in 1954! Imagine and Live in Peace, Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart

4 comments:

  1. Dear Mary-Helen, thank you so much ! Wish you an enchanted and joyful Christmas, love and happiness. May the new year bring to humans, animals and plants serenity and good care :) Blessings and hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a blessed Christmas full of all that God gives us! Bless you for all that you do for others. It truly is a wonderful life with you in it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your thoughts and pictures. You and Ken both look happy--a very good thing. Jim and I are both creating and placing in local galleries. It's a great retirement activity. I have a whole big room for my studio and amassed stashes.
    Wishing you a marvelous new year. Hugs, Jackie

    ReplyDelete