Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Who is teaching whom??? The gift of sharing time on a Tuesday morning.

Today Ken attended a celebratory luncheon for our dear friend Dave...who has just finished his radiation and chemotherapy journey at "Five Guys Burgers".  I think just being able to laugh and share stories with people who love one another and support each other as they fight their biggest challenges ...cancer.  I found reassurance and a sense of peace ...just knowing that Dave is celebrating and still here.

I went to Dawes Arboretum to work with an art group from the ADD adult group from Columbus.  We made their journals for their memories and activities shared during the  next 6 or 7 weeks.  I worked with a young energetic intern named Katie who is in college for early childhood education.  She has received a grant ...for her summer's contributions to the multitude of workshops and studies and summer camps.  We had six adults who worked in the very first planting of the new accessible garden outside the Zand Education building here at Dawes.  The brick work pave way and assorted raised beds will bring such delight to those who have been left out of gardening because of the wheelchairs and other physical limitations.  On July 26 there is an official reception to celebrate this incredible collaboration of people who are creating a community that is one with Nature.

We made our journals ...Katie punched the holes and we all worked together to tie them together with soft, colorful yarns.  Jennifer was hesitant about doing any painting, she was afraid of getting messy...but I had a trick or two up my sleeve.  We created mono-prints using soft garden colors dropped onto plastic wrap and then they folded them in 1/2...opened them again and gently printed them using the palm of their hand to create layers of colors.  The images were exciting...and we talked about making tee shirts later in this simple but exploratory technique with Jenny the director of education for Dawes.  Mike was in a wheelchair but with some assistance from his aid he created a garden's delight.  Jason and Raymond worked carefully with Miss Jenny whole the other traveling aid Miss Ash created with little Mary in the purple tee shirt.  I think when you see the photos ...before my batteries died...these wonderful gentle souls were pleased with their creations.  Next week I will be with Ken for him marker implanting surgeries but the group is going over to the Japanese Garden to explore and write and sketch.  I am going to bring watercolors on the following week to stamp Japanese images I collected back in 1990.  See I do realize my"art stuff" is an enormous collection  but you never know where the path will lead you.  I found myself studying their gentle eyes filled with trust...and I realize how much they have given to me.... their intense participation and ease of creating an abstract image ..but seeing the beauty in each others colorful explorations.  I have been blessed.

the dream is realized...last year this accessible garden was just in the planning stage...
 leaf studies for all ages...........
 sugar maples are a favorite of mine......



 colorful pots for planting for the opening on July 26.....joyful colorful affirmations....

 the summer campers are here early and ready to challenge the young interns studying mammals like skunks...foxes...squirrels...possum....
 Grandmother signs in her young charge....i think there were three different camps going on today......
 a sample of the big group's journals....

 simple easy materials ......accessible....and user friendly....
 the Dawes guys have a conference about maintenance...I worked with Bill last summer........
 the plantings are responding very well to the big planting boxes...some peppers are blomming already...
 the Dawes crew are assembling the garden walls and making decisions about the tree selections hee and inside the paved area....
 My crew has arrived ...ready and willing and able to create......
 Jenny Pope shares the plantings with Mary and Jennifer ...they discuss how long it takes before a harvest ....of herbs and vegetables.
 Jenny knows her plant world...a gentle guide to the world of Natural foods ...homegrown.
 Michael and Mike....begin their printing process....carefully selecting their paint colors...
 Jennifer assures me that she can not get her clothes covered with paint... agrees to try a new attempt of painting with a mono-print....
 this is so light and everyone agrees it is reflecting of garden images and flowers...possible butterflies....
Jason is using a delicate touch to create the inside of his blooms....amazing focus....
Raymond studies the real dragonflies in the Dawes Collection of insects.......
 Mary got the energy of the colors and loved adding her dragonfly to her garden..........
 a quiet reminder ...it is almost time for lunch....yes I will come back soon....
 a study in flowers..............a mono-print...
 Discussions about the art walk in the Japanese gardens next Tuesday with Jenny Lynn and Suki.....yes you can bring your camera.......
 Mike makes a point that if it continues to rain....well we need to be flexible.......
 Jenny Pope shares some encouragement with Jennifer about ...don't worry about getting a bit dirty....we can change and then change back again in our clothes after our experiences...independence...is an important lesson and value
 time for the best part of the field trip...Lunch!!!
Raymond seems to take in a bit of all of the conversations......
 a beautiful meeting of the minds living in their own garden...........
 Hey Art Lady!!!! Look at my fairy garden!!!!  Gardens were the theme for the day at The Works Curious Tuesdays it seems.
 Mr. Mike creates a fast hot rod demonstration for a little racer............
 I am the big sister ...and My little sister is coming next week...........I will help Momma!!!
 Christopher LaRoso crated a fused glass portrait in the Summer Art Camp at the Works........
 look at hat wild hair Connor created.........
one happy face here.......
 sweet delicate portrait of a sweet delicate little girl........
 this is Christopher mugging for the camera.........
 this young woman has a career in architectural design...I told her I want a tree house like this one...........
 this young girl created a house design with an elevator....
 a special program..."I want to grow up Great!"
 costumes for every occasion ...the big sister wants to be a princess today...........
 I admire this Momma with a baby coming next week ...coming out in this humidity and heat...to share a wonderful experience with her daughter..........
YES this truck says it all........Learning is all around us!   Imagine and Live in Peace,  Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart

4 comments:

  1. You are a dear lady, so special to so many there. Love the leaf inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, so many wonderful projects and classes going on. I wish all children could get a chance to experience those classes. Heck, I think a lot of adults would love to go too. Our rain has passed and we will have clear, beautiful 80 degree days for a while. I must get back to the gardening. As I look at my beautiful lilies, I think I need to make a foam stamp with their shape and outline. Then I could add it to my work. I just love them. :)Bea

    ReplyDelete
  3. Say a prayer for my friends...to quote her after last night thunderstorms...she called her dear husband Joe to say "Come home right now...there is a tree in our house!" May we all join in a hymnal...Rain rain go Away!!!!???? Peace, Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know me, I love all things dragonfly! Send some of that rain down here please. :) When I saw the leaves I thought of sun printing with them. Take it easy and have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete