Thursday, October 18, 2012

I seem to be running in a gerbil wheel...

I tried to complete my abstract for the APGA 2013 conference next May in Phoenix...for some unknown reason I failed to open the pdf file because I did not have a number required for submission,  Next year's theme is evolution of today's gardens and I was hoping to inspire further community interaction in creating art exhibits in fiber for outdoor exhibitions.  I wish i had known a bit earlier that the deadline was yesterday...but I am at fault also because I should have been more diligent in my research about the prospectus and due dates. 

Today was open studio in The Works... youngest up to the Grandmas.....we had Chris Lang guide us to the process of needle felting our covers for a possible journal or maybe a small purse....
Lynn Logan Grimes...studio master shares her beautiful felting colors and shapes...
Chris Lang  shared the best tips for needles and Larry Tuber gave us all the encouragement we need to get going....
Rory shared an exploration exercise using shaving cream and food dyes printed on paper.... so many ideas are beginning to sprout up....
the little ones were deeply committed to their  painting of their Halloween ceramics....
the girls are processing and sharing their own techniques...

now what is going on at this big table?...
little ones are here to paint..... in the last minutes left ...we can do this....
this little one wants  to work with Chris to make a three layer leaf......
Chris Lang has created a wonderful story board with examples of techniques....
thank you Chris!!!!
I am working on a Kandinsky inspiration with bright colors and of course I did not complete my task ....but I have so many ideas....
Thank You Chris!!!!

Lynn Logan Grimes;s front cover....stunning...now for the beads and embellishments.....
Vee Hottle and i share a big celebratory HUG!  20 years celebration of the YES after school program.....
Jessica Phelps came back for the party....she is wonderful with these young people!!!!
Grandma came to share the event with her Grandmother ...the future is bright...
Amanda's beautiful niece dressed as an Indian princess...two beautiful young ladies...
this is a project I created years ago for the YES clubhouse ...I have been visiting these kids for the last 13 years and will return in January to create a large canvas work for them.....
the foods and treats were awesome....
some of Vee's students are quite large and yet so boyish in his gentle smile....
the chalkboard  in full  color chalk...simply stated but very powerful anniversary....
2012 staff united to change the future one child at a time....

That's my Maya Rose standing at attention before the show begins...she is in the middle
the final song ...I am proud to be an American....the whole group unites...

 Maya Rose and a very proud Mom Tina Marie.... it is just yesterday when Tina was only 13 and singing in the choral programs....
 soft candle light ....
a new selection of buttons for my quilt...
and beads for my necklace...to be later revealed...
 a basket of BOOS!!!!
 the Fall colors greet me as I drive up the driveway...
 my cathedral....
 Scott shares his experiences this week with his new heart stent...but he brought Ari to family night...
 Ari studies some of the collages and stamps and Halloween stickers...
 booooo!
 scary scary scary Halloween!
 Ruth is still recovering from her hand surgery to correct her injury from walking the dog....but they brought their little daughter Ari....
 Ian is my main man....he always makes me  laugh...and dances Gangham style....
 he was being scary as well as his work.....boo!
 Jude and Josh share their ideas for the Halloween pumpkin painting party...





Josh is sharing a cowboy hat with me....he has two!!!!
Today I worked in my studio for a bit trying to get more Halloween cards ready to go for sale.  Then I participated in the felting journal exercises over at the Works open studio.  It was a great deal of fun exploring what one can do to create with dismissed woolen sweaters.  The youngsters were also painting their ceramic mugs for Moms and Dads and Sean was demonstrating another glass blowing lesson to our patrons visiting for the afternoon.  I discovered I really enjoy working with the Clover 5 needle punch to attach the wool rovings.  I went to Hobby Lobby but they were out of this dynamic felting tool but they should have another next week in their shipment.  I started a Kandinsky color inspired cover for either a journal or a small felted clutch.  I want to look over at the glass buttons for the closure or possibly make a felted button with beads for embellishments.  Then I headed down to celebrate with the YES club in their 20 year anniversary of Light the Night ...an after school program for middle and high school students.  This is a  safe and family friendly place to meet, study, relax and renew friendships after the school doors close.  We should all be very proud of Vee Hottle and her team of dedicated staff who are changing the world with one student at a time.  I have been involved with this program proudly for the last 13 years.  I am returning to make a large canvas work for them in January when my commissions are completed  and the holidays have run their course.

With barely minutes to spare I arrived at Wilson Middle School for their Choir program in which my granddaughter  Maya Rose performed in.  The gym was full of proud families and young siblings straining to see their sister or brother up on the risers singing and performing songs from the 1950's and 60's .  They ended the program with a united choir performing "I am Proud to be an American" made famous by Lee Greenwood.

Yes I am tired but I FEEL so grateful to have been working with such creative people today.  Their optimism and energy cannot help to renew my spirit and belief in the optimism for our future!  I have some specialize testing tomorrow morning bright and early at the hospital so I need to get to bed soon.  I hope your days have been as fruitful and joyful for you.  Imagine and Live in Peace,  Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart

1 comment: