Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Half the Sky...a special on PBS concerning the future of women...

I have been working on creating works that reflect and honor the work of women around the world.  When I found this book written by a husband and wife...my heart was made aware of the pain many cultures force onto their "property"...the women.  Just being born a female is often a sentence of pain and often rape and even death.  The feminization of poverty ...globally is an ongoing problem that is often happening today in silent, clear witness for all who may care to learn and share the need for changes NOW.

I finished my wooden crate for my Erin and hopefully she will be pleased with the results.  I had several new visitors come in today and even sold a couple cards...small works unique in their own way and they do help me pay my rent.  One lady was just starting her journey into a retirement chapter and had begun taking a drawing class over at Ohio State.  After the age of 60...the classes are almost free and so beneficial ...continued recognition for life long learning!  I shared some drawing materials with her and encouraged her to return with her latest exercises to share with me.  Art truly saves lives!

Chris Lang stopped by to share her latest year long commission ...another felted nature chair.  The quiet woman shares a passion for the loves of wools and textures she sculptures and creates moving landscapes with the colors and textures of an Ohio landscape.  She was having her joyous work photographed before she makes the final delivery to the new owner.  Chris has used and dyed some of her own sheep fibers ...the colors are simply magical .  I have included a few photos but my little camera just does not do this Art piece justice. 

I am ready to go back to my quilting ...slow , steady floss unwinds in ribbons of colors.  This homage to the Australian dreaming retraces the maps for lives connected by survival places for water and fish and shelter from the surroundings.  I think the women I met would be happy to see my sacred marks honoring their lives in the outback.  Imagine and Live in Peace,  Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart

 the paintbrush of Mother Nature is busy dancing in my woods...
 Mother and baby stop by at the end of the day....peaceful creatures that teach serenity...
 Aminah wrote me a thank you today....this is backwards because it is she that I owe my gratitude...
 graphite tracing for the old crate...
 the beginning is being burnt into an unknown wood... this may be Chance's handwriting...
 a wondrous beginning of another one of Chris Lang's Nature chair...
 the details created from felted wools simply delight the viewers eyes...
 the whole chair now tells the story from roots to treetops.... all drawn with felted hand dyed wools...
 a few more details....
 the bottoms of each chair leg sport a root system....
 a Baltimore oriole nest included on the back of the tree on the chair...
 maple leaf and maple seeds adorn the branches of this chair... Chris won best of show for this year's Brynn Du Art exhibit....
 Chris is a true and passionate artist...
 her hands are seldom idle....she blesses us all with her needle works...
 I have my hair in a bun again...yesterday  I burnt my loose tendrils...
 slow and patient work...steady hands and smokey aromas...
 final details... dinner is ready when Ken gets home...our old oak table serves many purposes.....
almost there...I pray Erin will like it...
 smoke gets in your eyes takes on a new meaning when you woodburn...
 TaaDaaHHHH!!!!
p.s.  I VOTED TODAY!!!!!

3 comments:

  1. I strongly recommend you try to find and watch...painful at times ....Half the Sky! This is very thought provoking and horrendous at the same time. Peace, Mary Helen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the visit, Mary Helen! Tucson loved you and the boots look bodacious! Love, peace & knitting, Cyd

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel bodacious every time I slip them onto my tootsies!!! I miss you my sacred sister!!! Peace, MHFS

    ReplyDelete